Thursday, February 23, 2012

Let’s Talk About This

Busses:  If you want to go anywhere in Grenada, you have to flag down one of these bad boys.  It’s a relatively easy system with just one flaw--all of the busses are privately owned.  This means that there is no schedule therefore, no dependability.  My particular bus route is a bit of a pain.  I live out of the way and most of the busses on my route like to stop before they get anywhere close to my little village.  So, before I get on the bus I ask the driver if he’s headed to my town and, of course, they all say yes.  Unfortunately, they all don’t really mean it.  They like to drop you off at the “end of the line” and tell you to catch the next one.  Now this gets crazy real fast because more often than not the “end of the line” is super sketch.  Fortunately, this has only happened to me once in the last three weeks…unfortunately, that was on day one so now I’m just not a happy bus person.  My point is this:  I have found 3 fabulous dance opportunities and cannot brave the busses…lame. Yes. I know.   One day I’ll figure it all out and be able to dance, but I don’t think that’s going to be for a while. So, if you have any spare courage, send it my way.  It will be much appreciated J

When you move beyond this rather frustrating flaw, you can see that the busses are a great way to immerse yourself into Grenadian culture.  Most of what I have learned about the Grenadian life has come from my bus rides to and from town.  The sense of community never fails to astound me.  I think it’s because of where I’ve grown up.  Suburban North Carolina just doesn’t connect at that level.  People get on these vans without any idea of where they’re going, but the whole busload of people, smashed together and sweaty, will look out for them and stop the bus where they’re supposed to get off.  Many times the bus veers of track to drop women with babies and seniors right in front of their door step.   I’ve even been on one that picked up a blind woman and dropped her off way out of ways, free of charge.  People here understand people and unfortunately, I think that’s one of the strangest things to get used to.  I’m so used to being ignored. I mean, think about it. When you walk down the street do you say “good afternoon” to anyone? Sometimes, we even purposely dig around in our bags for our cell phones so we don’t have to say “hi” to someone.  Think about it…

Ps.  Dad, we had some sugar cane today! I thought about you.  I don’t understand why eating sugarcane isn’t a thing in the states.  It is AMAZING.   Put it on your bucket list, you won’t be disappointed.

2 comments:

  1. I just love your blog Shruti! Keep the posts coming, they are a nice break on cold, long days in South Dakota!

    I am in the middle of the health exams for PC. So many appointments and paperwork!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. get on that bus and dance your butt off, girl.

    ReplyDelete